Efamol Pure Evening Primrose Oil
For smooth, healthy-looking skin and hormonal balance
One of the most potent evening primrose oil supplements available containing rich levels of the omega-6 nutrient Gamma Linolenic Acid (GLA) to help maintain hormonal balance and smooth, healthy-looking skin.
Efamol Pure Evening Primrose Oil is specially formulated;
- To maintain hormonal balance via prostaglandin metabolism.
- To maintain health of skin, hair and nails, being not only an essential element of the skin structure, but also a precursor of prostaglandins, which have an important role to play in the maintenance of healthy skin
- To maintain peripheral nerve health.
The most effective source of GLA
Gamma Linolenic Acid (GLA) is an important omega-6 nutrient needed for important bodily functions such as the maintenance of hormonal balance and healthy skin structure. Can also be broken down into AA.
Efamol Pure Evening Primrose Oil is a rich source of the polyunsaturated fatty acid GLA. It provides GLA in the form most effectively absorbed and utilised by the body.
GLA controls the body’s production of prostaglandins, chemical messengers that help to regulate many of the body’s processes including the reproductive cycle and the maintenance of hormonal balance.
Capsule Pure Evening Primrose Oil, capsule shell (gelatin, glycerine), Vitamin E (as dl-alpha tocopheryl acetate)
Liquid High Oleic Acid Sunflower Oil, Pure Evening Primrose Oil, Vitamin E EFAs LCPUFA (as dl-alpha tocopheryl acetate)
Research on Ingredients
Vitamin E is a highly effective antioxidant; it can help protect against free radical damage caused by environmental pollutants. It also has beneﬁts in helping to maintain skin health.
Essential Fatty Acids (EFA) are the only true EFAs are the head of the Omega-3 and Omega-6 series of fatty acids, namely Alpha-Linolenic Acid and Linoleic Acid. They must be sourced from the diet and can be broken down through complex chemical reactions in the body into LCPUFAs, which the body needs for speciﬁc metabolic processes. However, this chemical process is notoriously un-economic and is affected by diet, age, alcohol consumption, intake of saturated fats.
Long Chain Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids is a general term referring to the good fats, which are predominantly from the Omega-3 and Omega-6 series and include GLA, AA, DHA and EPA. These can be obtained from the diet and are directly used in a number of vital bodily processes.
- Efamol Pure Evening Primrose Oil is available as:-
- capsules – clear oval soft gelatine capsules
- 1000mg capsules – clear oblong soft gelatine capsules
- These products are free from sodium, sugar, starch, gluten, wheat, yeast, dairy, artificial colours and preservatives
- Efamol Evening Primrose Oil contains 33% more Gamma Linolenic Acid (GLA) than most other evening primrose oils.
- With Vitamin E
Suggested daily intake
2 capsules per day with food (500mg), 1 capsule per day with food (1000mg)
Does Efanatal® have any side effects?
Side effects are very rare and may include headache, nausea, soft stool, diarrhoea or other gastrointestinal disturbances. These can usually be eliminated by taking the product with food and/or reducing the dose to one capsule per day and then slowly increasing the dose up to the recommended amount over the course of a week. People who take the product on an empty stomach tend to have more digestive side effects.
Can I take Efanatal® with other medications or supplements?
There are no known interactions of Efanatal® with other natural health products. You should consult a qualified health care provider if you are taking anticoagulants, epileptogenic drugs, ASA, or phenothiazines. Anyone under medical supervision or taking medication should consult their health care provider before taking any supplement including Efanatal®.
Does Efamax® have any side effects?
Do I take Efanatal® until I give birth and then stop taking it?
Who should not take Efanatal®?
What should mothers give to their babies in the period between when they stop breastfeeding and the age of, say, 3 years? Since babies generally cannot form enough of their own LC-PUFA’s until they’re 1-2 years old, people worry that their baby is not getting enough LC-PUFA’s after breastfeeding stops.
Parents should speak to their health care provider about giving their child some Efanatal® (the oil from one or two capsules per day mixed with their food). Based on available research, there is no reason to suspect that giving the product in that age group would have an ill effect. However, we do not sell the product for that age group, so the decision is really up to the mother and her health care provider.
We do not recommend adding any supplement including Efanatal to reconstituted infant milk formula for bottle feeding.
- Boucher O, Burden MJ, Muckle G, Saint-Amour D, Ayotte P et al. Neurophysiologic and neurobehavioral evidence of beneficial effects of prenatal omega-3 fatty acid intake on memory function at school age. Am J Clin Nutr. 2011 May;93(5):1025-37.
- Escolano-Margarit MV, Ramos R, Beyer J, Csábi G, Parrilla-Roure M et al. Prenatal DHA Status and Neurological Outcome in Children at Age 5.5 Years Are Positively Associated. J Nutr. 2011 Jun;141(6):1216-23.
- Donahue SM, Rifas-Shiman SL, Gold DR, Jouni ZE, Gillman MW, Oken E. Prenatal fatty acid status and child adiposity at age 3 y: results from a US pregnancy cohort. Am J Clin Nutr. 2011 Apr;93(4):780-8. Epub 2011 Feb 10.
- Furuhjelm C, Warstedt K, Larsson J et al. Fish oil supplementation in pregnancy and lactation may decrease the risk of infant allergy. Acta Paediatr 2009 Jun 1 [Epub ahead of print]
- Colombo J, Kannass KN, Shaddy DJ, et al. Maternal DHA and the development of attention in infancy and toddlerhood. Child Dev. 2004;75(4):1254-67.
- Jacobson JL, Jacobson SW, Muckle G, Kaplan-Estrin M, Ayotte P, Dewailly E. Beneficial effects of a polyunsaturated fatty acid on infant development evidence from the Inuit of Arctic Quebec. J Pediatr 2008;152:356-64.
- Hibbeln JR, Davis JM, Steer C, Emmett P, Rogers I, Williams C, Golding J. Maternal seafood consumption in pregnancy and neurodevelopmental outcomes in childhood (ALSPAC study): an observational cohort study. Lancet 2007;369:578-585.
- Makrides M, Gibson R, McPhee A, Yelland L, Quinlivan J et al. Effect of DHA supplementation during pregnancy on maternal depression and neurodevelopment of young children. JAMA 2010;304(15):1675-1683.
- Van Houwelingen AC et al. EFA status in neonates after fish oil supplementation during late pregnancy. Br J Nutr 1995: 74(5):723- 31.
- Decsi T and Koletzko B. N-3 fatty acids and pregnancy outcomes. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2005:8(2)161-6.
- Helland et al. Maternal supplementation with very long chain n-3 fatty acids during pregnancy and lactation augments children’s IQ at 4 years of age. Pediatrics 2003 Jan;111(1):e39-44.
- Dunstan J, Simmer K, Dixon G, Prescott S. Cognitive assessment of children at age 2.5 years after maternal fish oil supplementation in pregnancy: a randomized controlled trial. Archives of Disease in Childhood: published online ahead of print: 10.1136/adc.2006.099085.
Whilst Efamol Pure Evening Primrose Oil is generally regarded as safe to take with medicines, anyone under medical supervision, or taking medication, should consult their doctor before taking a supplement. This product should not be used in children under 2 years of age. Food supplements should not be used as a substitute for a varied diet.
|Nutrition Information||2 x 500mg or 1 x 1000mg||% RDA*|
|Efamol Pure Evening Primrose Oil||1000mg||**|
|of which GLA||115mg||**|
* EC Recommended Daily Allowance
** No RDA Established